Nikki Dean is a broadcast journalist with extensive Live TV Presenting experience. Credits include BBC Strictly Come Dancing’s Online Presenter, Something for The Weekend Retail and Gadget Expert and Channel M Breakfast Show Anchor. She specialises in Entertainment and Gadget/ Technology as well as Consumer affairs.
Nikki started her career as a reporter on Channel M, as their Entertainment Correspondent interviewing celebrities and producing and presenting a twice daily live news bulletin, from there she was asked to screen test for the role of Breakfast Show Anchor where she stayed for two years
(SKY 203, Virgin 878), the show broadcast LIVE for 3 hours a day and covered features as vast as Showbiz news and Celebrity interviews through to Sport, Business and topical news items. Nikki wrote most of her own scripts and researched her interviews that were as varied as the Economy, Keith Chegwin talking about National Chip week or a local artist talking about their latest exhibition. With no two days the same, the role required a great sense of humour, an ability to ad-lib, to think on her feet and react quickly to changes within the programme as directed. Through this experience she is also very experienced in the use of open talkback and autocue.
BBC Strictly Come Dancing Online Presenter
Nikki has now been working with BBC Strictly Come Dancing‘s online team since the 2009 and returns for her 6th series in 2014. As well as bringing audiences all the backstage gossip and presenting the online features she voices the weekly catch up programme ‘Strictly in 60’. Go to http://t.co/uYiCz4gNzq.
The Brand Detective (Gadget Blog and Online Show)
Nikki is also known as the Brand Detective after her successful Gadget and Tech blog which she Presents, Produces an online show for as well as writing all blog content and gadget reviews since 2010
You can view the YouTube channel ‘The Brand Detective’ at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBrandDetective,
and visit the blog at http://thebranddetective.com/.
Something for the Weekend Gadget and Retail Expert
You might also recognise Nikki as the retail expert and contributor from BBC’s Sunday morning Show ‘Something for the Weekend’ 2011, again reviewing and demonstrating the latest gadgets, gizmos and quirky products in a fun way with Tim Lovejoy and various celebrity guests… a role which required a sense of humour as you never quite knew what might happen!
Nikki thrives in a Live TV environment and has years of TV Production experience too, so she can contribute creative ideas and write her own scripts – you can even get her to do a bit of editing if the need arises As happy in a studio or on location in a muddy field, Nikki is a hands-on, down to earth presenter and fun who is easy to work with.
Presenting Credits – TV and Online:
2007 – Present
• 2009 – Current 2014 series: BBC 1 and BBC 2 Strictly Come Dancing Online Presenter.
• 20013 – Present – Betfred TV in-store TV promos
• 2010 – 2012 series end – BBC ‘Something for the Weekend’. – Retail and Gadget Expert
• 2011 – 2012 series end – Channel 5 Live with Gabby – Entertainment Reporter
• 2010 – 2011 – Channel M Evening News Co-Anchor, 1 hour topical news show hosted with Andy Crane
• 2007 – 2009 – Channel M Breakfast Show Anchor, Channel M (weekdays 3 hours 6-9am) – – Included introduction to the show, links between features, ad-libbing, script writing and Live Sport, News, Entertainment and Lifestyle interviews and features.
• 2006 – 2007 – Channel M Entertainment Reporter (2 x Daily Bulletins to script and present)
Other Credits: Channel 5 Entertainment reporter, Life TV – The Slimming and Fitness Show anchor, Various Freelance Entertainment reporter credits – SKY 878, ITN, red Carpet coverage for various online channels.
Voice Over/ Corporate:
2007 – Present
• BBC Strictly Come Dancing Online and Red Button Features – 2009 – Present
• Asda – In-store promos, Internal communication videos, Awards nominations – 2011 – Present
• Betfred TV – National in-store promos and commercials – (including Commercials for BT Sports) 2013 – Present
• Brockholes Nature Reserve TV – TV Commercial – 2011
• Life TV – Station idents and promos – 2009 – 2010
• Channel M – Feature narration, station idents and promos – 2007 – 2010
• Moben Kitchens – TV Commercial 2007
Other credits: BT, Kier Building, Matalan, IPad App, Numero Software, Jet 2, Capital radio
Presenting Credits – Radio:
2009 – Present
• 2009 – Present – Various Stations including Five Live, BBC Radio Manchester other BBC Local Radio Stations – Entertainment specialist / Contributor
Live Event Hosting:
2009 – Present
• Adidas – 2012 – Present – Regular presenter for fitness events, store launches and sport promos throughout the UK
• Spring Fair – 2015 – Main Stage Event Host
• Ford Protégé Project @ Taste London – 2014 – Presenting live Cooking demos and Q&As with celebrity chefs,
Other credits: Samsung Olympic roadshow, Manchester Fashion Week, Children Adventure Farm Charity fundraisers
• 2009 – Present – The Brand Detective Blog (Founder and Blogger/ Presenter) www.thebranddetective.com
2009 – Present – Style Etc. magazine – Monthly gadget and Retail Column
• 2009 – Present: Input into and feature development -BBC Strictly Come Dancing Online Features
• 2007 – 2009: Channel M – Produced and scripted several half hour specials on Manchester Entertainment including City Life as well as short Breakfast Show Features.
• 2006: Equinox Productions (Various TV Commercials))
• 2004- 2006: CSV Media: Radio and TV Tutor
• 2002: BCMB – Producer for TV Commercials (Moben Kitchens, Dolphin Bathrooms
• 2009: London Academy of Media Film and TV – Voice Artist training
• 2002: Sheffield Hallam University – Media studies majoring in broadcast Journalism – 2:1 BA (hons)